Checklist for Successful Virtual Meetings
BEFORE YOU START
- Create a clean Meeting Environment
– Remove distractions.
– Chose a neutral background.
– If you can, go to a separate room.
- If you are at Home
– Tell your family that you are in a meeting.
– Put a sign up that your kids understand, too.
- Use a Headset instead of a Mic on a Laptop or PC
– To guarantee an optimized Audio Quality.
- Choose the right Tool
– Zoom, Skype, Google Hangout: select the tool fit for purpose.
- Account for Download, Install– and Testing Time
– Test your audio and video settings.
– Familiarize yourself with key functionality: video, audio, mute, screenshare.
- Think of Alternatives
– Provide standard dial-in options via traditional conference call lines
- For Meetings with more than 4 Participants
– Assign a moderator.
– Providers such as Zoom allow participants to “raise a hand”.
– Share basic rules for virtual meetings in advance.
– Set and communicate clear goals and send an agenda in advance.
DURING VIRTUAL MEETINGS
- Optimize your Bandwidth
– Ask participants to ONLY activate video during the first and the last two minutes.
- Start with an Icebreaker
– Everybody gets to speak at the start, even if it is only a short «hello».
- Optimize the Time
– Stick to 45 minutes, build in breaks, don’t go over 90 minutes.
- One at a Time
– Optimize participation and decision-making with the “one at a time” rule.
- Use Online Feedback
– Use chat functionality. For larger meetings, have someone taking care of moderation.
– Tip: Apps like Poll Everywhere create the possibility to generate on-demand feedback on specific topics in real-time.